Jump Start Your Fitness
Looking for a highly effective and efficient way to burn calories, shed pounds, strengthen your heart and lungs, and generally improve your health and overall fitness level? Then don’t over look good ol’ fashioned jump roping. I mean, if Rocky did it, it’s gotta be legit, right?
Not convinced? Here’s a list of benefits:
- Improve your reflexes and coordination
- Can easily incorporate interval training
- Highly mobile (just throw the jump rope in your carry on)
- Burns off a Snickers in 15-20 minutes
- Simultaneously conditions both your upper and lower body (i.e., its a full-body workout)
- Can be done in a low-impact manner
- Doesn’t require a lot of space
Types of Jump Ropes
If you think a jump rope is a jump rope is a jump rope, you’re wrong. Quality and construction have a huge impact on jump rope performance. Believe me, nothing is more frustrating than trying to hit 50 double unders (DUs) on a rope that’s too slow or keeps tangling. If you do a quick search you’ll likely come across:
- Steel Cable
Also, you want to make sure that the rope-to-handle connection is high quality. Some ropes merely pass through the interior of the handle and are secured with a knot or clamp. In my experience, these kind tend to get twisted fairly easily. I would look for a rope that incorporates some type of ball bearings into the handle. These will help the rope move more freely within the handle, rotation after rotation, so that you can focus on your technique and not your rope.
Most jump ropes are easily adjustable. But, some are sized to order. Regardless, here’s how you estimate the length that’s right for you…
- Hold the rope with one handle in each hand;
- Step in the middle of the rope; and
- Size the rope so that the handles reach your armpits.
You can jump rope in combat boots if you really wanted to. But, I wouldn’t recommend it. I would recommend a nice pair of cross trainers. You really want something light, flexible, and streamlined (to avoid tripping up on the rope).
Also, if you can afford to spend a little extra, you might consider purchasing a piece of plywood or gym flooring to jump on. Not only will it be better for your joints, it will extend the life of your rope. I know from experience that jump roping on the sidewalk or driveway will quickly destroy even a steel cable jump rope.
CrossFit Jump Rope Reviews
The table below identifies 5 high quality jump ropes currently for sale at Amazon. Simply click the image to see current availability and pricing. Yes, cheaper jump ropes are available. But for $25-50 you can get a really high quality rope that will serve your for years. And, you’ll curse a lot less when you’re trying to knock out those double unders!
RPM Speed Rope 2.0
- Extremely fast
- High Quality
- Unforgiving (cable hurts when it slaps you)
- Frays if you use on pavement
Buddy Lee’s Aero Speed Hyperperforance
- Good for CrossFitters and their double unders
- Adjustable length
- Spins easily
- Some minor quality issues -hardware tends to get loose and requires tightening
- Handle sponges tend to slide off
Buddy Lee’s Master Jump Rope
- Good for double unders
- Good quality and performance
- A little heavier than cable ropes – allows a more consistent swing
- Includes a replacement rope
- Little slower than a cable rope
- Some quality issues
FitSkuad CrossFit Jump Rope
- Light, comfortable and sturdy handles
- Includes a replacement cable and travel bag
- Doesn’t tangle
- Easily adjustable
- Thumb screws can come loose – need to be tightened occasionally
CrossFit Jump Rope/Speed Cable
- Includes carry bag and paleo cook book
- High quality
- Fast and easy rotation
- Make sure to use on plywood or gym flooring to avoid cable splintering
The Budget Option
If you’re not sure about jump roping, you may also want to check out this very affordable option I stumbled across. It’s only about $14 and it has received many favorable reviews.
You really have quite a few options at your disposal. Any of the options above should work for you. Do you have an recommendations that I should add to the list? Please leave a comment and let me know.