Know Thy Self
In the market for some new CrossFit kicks? I’ve already written a post about CrossFit shoes for women. This post is aimed at helping the fellas. In it I attempt to help guide ya’ll toward the best CrossFit shoes for men.
But, before you dive in too far, you need to decide what you’re really looking for. I imagine most people who end up seeing this article are looking for the best all-around, do-everything CrossFit shoe (aka, a cross-trainer). Well, I hope that’s who’s reading this because those are the types of shoes I’m focusing on.
But, if what you’re really looking for is the best powerlifting or olympic lifting shoes, I’ve addressed the best weightlifting shoes in a recent article.
Know What to Look For
So, after you’ve decided who you are (i.e., whether you’re looking for a good cross-trainer, powerlifting shoe, or olympic lifting shoe) the next order of business is to identify the key prerequisites for the shoe that best meets the demands of that application.
In this post, I anticipate that most of you are looking for a good, all-around, CrossFit shoe – a cross-trainer. My assumption is that you’re looking for a shoes that will allow you to excel at most of the functional fitness workouts you’ll encounter at your local box.
That being the case, here’s what you should look for (in no particular order) in a good, “daily wear” CrossFit shoe:
- Proper Fit – This should be obvious. Red and yellow, black and white, all are precious in his site…but that doesn’t mean all feet will fare equally well in each brand. Narrow, wide, high arch, flat-footed? Choose wisely or you’ll regret it with each workout. Or, order from a vendor with a lenient return policy.
- Lightweight – Many, or even most, CrossFit workouts require speed and agility and lots of reps. Heavy shoes will hold you back.
- Breathability – Even if you don’t sweat a lot, your feet are going to get swampy. You need shoes that are going to allow you feet to breathe.
- Flexibility – Forward, backward, up, down, push, squat, thrust, twist, turn, left, right, repeat…You get the idea. You need shoes that will move with you, not constrict you.
- Stability – You need a firm foundation. You need to feel locked in. Slipping and sliding, rolling in or rolling out – all are unacceptable. You also want just the right amount of cushioning. Too much, and it’s like you’re lifting on clouds or marshmallows. Not good when you’re trying to lift a heavy weight and directly apply as much force as possible directly to the floor.
- Durability – CrossFit will destroy your shoes, and feet, if you don’t take precautions. Good CrossFit shoes will often be specifically constructed with durable materials designed to withstand the demands of rope climbs, burpees, and all the other destructive exercises you’re going to endure.
- Low Drop – CrossFit enthusiasts swear by the natural running POSE method. And, by living and playing in shoes that afford the most natural biomechanics possible. Thus, you want to look for shoes with a low heel to forefoot drop.
Know Your Options
So, with all that said, I’ve curated some of your best options. And, I’ve tried to lead you to two or three places that you can find each pair. If you purchase through one of these vendors, I’ll make a small commission. So, thanks in advance. Or, if that makes you uncomfortable, no worries. I hope you found this post beneficial.
Well, my goal was to expose you to the best crossfit shoes for men currently on the market. Hopefully I accomplished it. But, if I missed something, let me know and I’ll add it to the list. Thanks!